Asylum Seekers Support Project
run by the Red Cross in Iceland
The volunteer will work as part of the Asylum Support Team. The program consists of weekly social activities for people seeking international protection in Iceland. Activities currently take place in Hafnarfjörður (in the capital area) and in Reykjanesbaer, a 45 minutes’ drive from Reykjavik.
Social activities currently include a Women’s Group, Family Event, Language Classes, Teenagers Group, Youth Club and Social House. The program aims to reduce social isolation and idleness during the asylum application processing period; introduce asylum seekers to Icelandic culture, society and services available to them; and extend information and support.
Tasks at the project:
The main role of the ESC volunteer is planning and running the activities alongside the project managers and volunteers as well as offering other support as needed. The volunteer will also be expected to work with a high degree of independence at times.
- Help plan, make preparations and run regular social activities
- Be in regular contact with the volunteers and project managers regarding the planning of social activities
- Prepare information posters about social activities and send them to the relevant authorities.
- Announce the weekly activities to asylum seekers via SMS and other communication channels.
- Participate in regular planning meetings
- Support and facilitate volunteer training and meetings
- Take an active role in helping to further develop the program.
- Facilitate and support volunteer and client ownership of the program.
The volunteer should:
- be social and interested in getting to know people
- be organized
- be able to perform well under pressure
- be able to work independently but also as part of a team
- have good communication skills
- be open-minded and willing to listen and show empathy
- be able to take initiative
- be willing to help prepare refreshments for events (in some cases this includes food and material shopping) and help tidy up afterwards
- have good English language skills. Other languages, especially Spanish, Arabic and Kurdish, are a strong advantage
To apply, send your CV and Motivation Letter for joining the project to email@example.com
Help us by using the following subject in your email:
ESC Application – Asylum Seeker Support Project 2020-2021
Applications that don’t mention the name of the project in the email’s subject OR are sent after the deadline – 5 June 2020 – might not be considered.